Before winter, protect your rain barrel!
- Empty and rinse the rain barrel with a garden hose.
- Remove the spigot and consider using olive oil to lubricate the ball valve.
- Disconnect all hoses and consider placing them and the spigot inside the barrel for safe storage.
- Do not permit water to enter the barrel during winter. Water expands when it freezes and even a small amount can cause a rain barrel to crack.
- Strong winter winds can send an empty rain barrel rolling away. Consider storing the barrel in a basement, garage or under a deck.
- If storing the barrel outside, to ensure water does not enter the rain barrel, consider turning it upside down or laying it on its side.